Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Who can use this service

You’ll only be able to join the Housing Register if our assessment shows you are eligible and you have a housing need, and meet our qualification criteria. 

To be eligible for the Housing Register you must:

  • Not be subject to immigration control or
  • You must be a UK citizen and have the right to reside in the UK 

To qualify for the Housing Register you must:

  • Have a local connection to West Berks
  • Be eligible for social housing
  • Have a housing need

To have a local connection, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Have been resident in West Berkshire for at least 2 consecutive years immediately prior to their application being made.


  • Have a parent, adult sibling or adult child who’s lived in west Berks for at least 5 consecutive years who provide care for you, or you provide care for them. The level of care given or received must be significant and long term, and you’ll need to provide evidence that there are savings to the public purse through these care arrangements.


  • You’re been employed in meaningful paid work within West Berks for 16 or more hours per week for at least the last 2 consecutive years.

You’ll need to show you have insufficient resources to secure accommodation elsewhere. If you have a gross household income of less than £60,000 per year for couples, or less than £44,000 per year for single applicants. You won’t normally be eligible to apply to the Housing register if you have more than £16,000 in savings, investments or assets.

You’ll also need to meet at least one of the following housing need criteria:

  • You are deemed homeless under Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended)
  • You are owed a duty by any housing authority under section 190(2), 193(2) or 195(2) of the Housing Act 1996 (as amended) or who live in temporary accommodation secured through a housing authority under section 192(3)
  • You are occupying unsanitary or overcrowded housing
  • You need to move on medical or welfare grounds
  • You need to move to a particular location to avoid hardship
  • You’re currently underoccupying a social rented property
  • You witnessed or were the victim of a crime and it wouldn’t be safe for you to stay where you live now
  • You or a member of your household need to move as a matter of child or adult protection
  • You or a member of your household need substantial care that can’t be provided or received where you currently live, and/or you need adaptations that can’t be done in your current home
  • You’re experiencing multiple welfare or social issues that can only be resolved by moving to a new property, and you’ve got a care or support plan in place
  • You’re a keyworker in housing need
  • You’ve served or are serving in the Armed Forces. If this applies to you, please get in touch with us so we can ensure you are given the correct priority and information as there are a number of additional priorities which may apply. More information on Armed Forces criteria can be found in our Housing Allocations Policy.

You’ll be asked to provide evidence to support your application. We aren’t able  to assess your application until we have this evidence. Have a look at our FAQs to find out what documents you’ll need to upload to your application.

Who can’t use the service?

Some people aren’t eligible to join the Housing Register even if they would normally be deemed to have a housing need. The rules around this are complicated, and we advise you to get in touch with us if you think this might apply to you.

  • Certain people subject to immigration control
  • Certain people who are not habitually resident in the UK, short term visitors or those in breach of the EU Rights of Residence Directive

Your application could be suspended or removed if:

  • You’ve been involved in ASB or other serious behaviour, unless you’re the victim
  • You owe money to the Council for housing related costs
  • You’ve got rent arrears of more than 8 weeks’ rent and haven’t set up and stuck to a repayment plan
  • You’ve deliberately worsened your housing circumstances
  • You refuse 3 reasonable offers of accommodation
  • You’ve been violent or abusive towards staff of West Berks or any our partners
  • You provide false or misleading information

If there’s anything you’re not sure of get in touch with the Housing Allocations Team who will be able to help you.